Tacoma Stars Reserves 12, Portland Blacktails 4

After a slow start, the Tacoma Stars Reserves exploded for six goals in the third quarter and eight in the second half to knock off the Portland Blacktails on Saturday afternoon at the ShoWare Center. Nate Ford registered a hat trick in the win and the Stars improved to 6-0-0 and clinched a spot in the WISL playoffs.

After a scoreless first quarter, the Blacktails struck first behind a goal by Christopher Kalla at the 8:02 mark of the second. Tacoma answered quickly, though, with a pair of goals by Mark Lee, the first at the 6:12 mark and then another with 1:40 left in the half. Sebastian Navarro then made it 3-1 Tacoma with a goal with just 47 seconds left and the two teams went to the locker room tied, 3-1.

Portland’s Miguel Gomez struck first in the second half to make it a one goal game with 10:56 left in the third, but Tacoma would go on a seven goal run starting with a goal by Craig Johnson at the 10:20 mark, Ford’s first with 8:48 left, one by Logan Jones at the 6:30 mark, another by Navarro, Amos Freiheit’s strike with 4:15 left and then Ford’s second with 1:08 left to cap off a five goal third quarter that made it 8-2.

Isisdro Prado-Huerta finished off the seven goal run to make it 9-2 with 12:56 left in the game before Gerardo Duran finally snapped the run for Portland at the 8:59 mark to make it 9-3. Ford finished off his hat trick just a couple minutes later to make it 10-3 and Duran scored his second with 50 seconds left to make it 10-4. JJ Schmeck finished things off for the Reserves with a goal with 12 seconds left and Tacoma wrapped up the 11-4 win and a guaranteed spot in the WISL playoffs.

Tacoma Stars Reserves goals: Nate Ford (3), Mark Lee (2), Sebastian Navarro (2), Craig Johnson, Amos Freheit, Isidro Prado-Huerta, JJ Schmeck, Logan Jones

Portland Blacktails goals: Gerardo Duran (2), Christopher Kalla, Miguel Gomez

Bellingham United 7, Oly-Pen Force 6

Bellingham United survived a scare from the Oly-Pen by holding the Force scoreless in the fourth quarter and getting the game winner from a Christian Caro goal with 10:16 left to play to improve to 3-1-1 this season.

Colin Ralston opened the scoring for the Force at the 7:50 mark of the first quarter, but Bellingham answered with two in just seven seconds starting with Danny Fazio’s strike at the 2:49 mark and then Richard Henderson’s goal at the 2:42 mark and the first quarter came to an end with the Hammers up 2-1.

Uriel Herrera made it 3-1 early in the second before the Force went on a three goal run to take a 4-3 lead. Alex Hernandez started the scoring with 11:45 left, Michael Divano tied the game a minute later, and Ralston scored his second goal to give Oly the lead at the five minute mark. But the Hammers equalized with just 20 seconds left in the half behind Eduardo Canales goal and the half ended tied up at 4-4.

Bellingham retook the lead with 7:49 left in the third on a goal by Greg Wolfe, but less than a minute later, the Force tied the game back up at 5-5 behind Matt Olson’s goal. They then took a 6-5 lead on Rainier Schlekewey’s strike with 52 seconds left in the third, before the Hammers equalized on a goal by Kevin Flavin with just 12 seconds left and the third came to an end knotted up 6-6.

Caro scored what proved to be the game winner to make it 7-6 with 10:16 left and then the Bellingham defense took over holding the Force scoreless through the fourth quarter and the Hammers escaped Bremerton with their third victory of the season.

Bellingham United goals: Danny Fazio, Richard Henderson, Uriel Herrera, Eduardo Canales, Greg Wolfe, Kevin Flavin, Christian Caro

Oly-Pen Force goals: Colin Ralson (2), Alex Hernandez, Michael Divano, Matt Olson, Rainier Schlekewey

Oly Town Artesians 7, Snohomish County 5

Snohomish County jumped out a three goal lead in the first quarter but the Oly Town Artesians held them to just two goals the rest of the way and came out on top with a 7-5 win at The Pavilion on Saturday night.

Cristiano Whitaker started things off for Snohomish with two goals in the five minutes of the game and then added an assist to Jeremy Maldonado and the Steelheads opened up a 3-0 lead with 8:12 left in the first quarter. Oly Town got on the board at the 6:54 mark on Jason Fairhurst’s strike and the quarter came to an end with SnoCo up 3-1.

Jordan Zimmerman and Trevor Thompson each registered goals in the second quarter for the Artesians to tie the game up, 3-3, while the Oly defense at goalkeeper Matt Stalnik kept the Steelheads off the board and the two teams went to the half all tied up.

Zimmerman scored his second goal to give the Artesians their first lead with 8:24 left in the third and then they built a two goal lead on Manny Nicasio’s shorthanded strike with 5:17 left in the quarter. Snohomish got one back late in the third behind Jacen Stein’s goal, and the third came to a close with Oly up 5-4.

The Steelheads tied the game, 5-5, with 8:14 left on a goal by Glenn Paden, but two minutes later, Fairhurst scored what proved to be the game winning goal and Sebastian Lyons added an insurance goal late and the Artesians improved to 3-3-0 this season including a 3-0-0 record at home.

Oly Town Artesians goals: Jordan Zimmerman (2), Jason Fairhurst (2), Trevor Thompson, Manny Nicasio, Sebastian Lyons

Snohomish County goals: Cristiano Whitaker (2), Jeremy Maldonado, Jacen Stein, Glenn Paden

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: