Portland Blacktails 4, Bellingham United 4

A defensive battle for well over three quarters ended with a flurry of goals over the final six minutes and the Portland Blacktails and Bellingham United played to a four all tie at the Mittleman Jewish Community Center on Saturday night.

Richard Henderson opened the scoring for Bellingham four minutes into the game to give them a 1-0 lead that they would hold for the next 16 minutes. Portland responded with a goal by Adrian Rubio five minutes into the second quarter, but that would be it for the first thirty minutes with the first half ending 1-1.

The Hammers took an immediate lead two minutes into the third quarter thanks to a strike by Kevin Flavin, but Chuy Patino answered for the Blacktails six minutes later to tie it up 2-2, the only two goals of the third quarter.

With six minutes left, the flurry began. Dylan Langei opened the scoring for Bellingham to make it 3-2 Bellingham. But Portland answered a minute later with a goal by Kevin Escobar to tie it up at 3-3. The Hammers struck again to take a 4-3 lead in the next minute with a goal by Dane Thurston. Finally, Portland equalized just one minute later on a strike by Alex Segovia, and the two teams played out the final three minutes for a 4-4 draw.

Portland Blacktails goals: Adrian Rubio, Chuy Patino, Kevin Escobar, Alex Segovia

Bellingham United goals: Richard Henderson, Kevin Flavin, Dylan Langei, Dane Thurston

Oly Town Artesians 9, Oly-Pen Force 8

In a back and forth seven goal fourth quarter, it was Nick Mejia and the Oly Town Artesians that scored last registering the game winner with just 35 seconds left to take a wild 9-8 win over the Oly-Pen Force Saturday night at The Pavilion.

Oly Town took a quick two goal lead in the first quarter with goals by Alex Vogt and Kasey Sidor in the first five minutes of play. But Oly-Pen would rattle off the next four goals starting with two goals by Grant Larson to tie the game early in the second quarter. Hugo Mayoral made it 3-2 at the 9:42 mark and then Alex Hernandez scored his first goal to give the Force a 4-2 lead with 8:00 left in the second.

The Artesians would take advantage of two consecutive blue cards to the Force, scoring a 5-on-3 power play goal by Collin LaBranche and then a 5-on-4 power play goal by Mitchell Balmer to make it 4-4 going into halftime.

Both teams managed just a single goal in the third quarter with Andreas Malunat giving Oly Town a temporary 5-4 lead before Hernandez equalized and the two teams went into the final 15 knotted up at five all.

Then the flood gates opened. Sidor gave the Artesians a 6-5 lead before Brady Vernik answered for the Force to make it 6-6 at the 9:12 mark of the fourth quarter. The Artesians then took the lead back less than a minute later on a strike by goalkeeper Nate Salveson. Oly Town took a two goal lead five minutes later when Salveson found Josh Dube to make it 8-6 with 3:19 left. But the Force fought back with Hernandez’s third goal with 2:45 left and then tied the game at 8-8 behind a power play goal by Leo Hernandez.

But with just 35 seconds left, a blast by Mejia beat Oly-Pen keeper Brent Ricigliano and the Artesians picked up their first win of the season with a 9-8 home win.

Oly Town Artesians goals: Kasey Sidor (2), Alex Vogt, Collin LaBranche, Mitchell Balmer, Andreas Malunat, Nate Salveson, Josh Dube, Nick Mejia

Oly-Pen Force goals: Alex Hernandez (3), Grant Larson (2), Hugo Mayoral, Brady Vernik, Leo Hernandez

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: