Robert Bunn Photography

#1 Tacoma Stars Reserves 9, #4 Oly Town Artesians 3

After an evenly played first half, the Tacoma Stars Reserves erupted for five goals in the third quarter to advance to their third straight Western Indoor Soccer League final with a 9-3 win over the Oly Town Artesians. Scott Hanson scored twice for the Stars Reserves and Nate Ford scored once and chipped in four assists. The win extended the Stars Reserves’ unbeaten streak to 23 games and sets up a rematch with Bellingham United in the championship game on Saturday, February 22nd at the Tacoma Soccer Center.

Hanson and the Stars Reserves struck first and then Micah Wenzel added a goal to make it 2-0 Tacoma. But a mix up in the back by Stars keeper Alek Greenleaf gave Christian Segovia an open goal and he made it 2-1 with 25 seconds left in the first. The two teams played a tight defensive second quarter and at the break, it was a tense one goal game.

But the third quarter was all Stars Reserves. Hanson, Mark Lee and Diego Aceves all scored during a three goal run over a minute and half to make it 5-1 and would outscore the Artesians 7-2 in the second half to take home the 9-3 win.

Tacoma Stars Reserves goals: Scott Hanson (2), Diego Aceves, Nate Ford, Tyler John, Logan Jones, Mark Lee, Sebastian Navarro, Micah Wenzel
Oly Town Artesians goals: Christian Segovia, Manny Nicasio, Alec Zimmerman


Jon Bergman Photography

#2 Bellingham United 13, #3 Snohomish Skyhawks 6

In another tense contest at halftime that had the two teams tied at 4-4, once again the higher seed exploded in the fourth quarter. Bellingham scored four goals in the third quarter and five more in the fourth quarter to take a 13-6 win over the Snohomish Skyhawks and advanced to their seventh straight WISL Championship game. Christian Caro and Eleazar Galvan each scored hat tricks in the win while Andrew Escalante scored twice for the Skyhawks.

The Skyhawks jumped out to a 2-0 lead after the first period behind goals by Wesley Stark and Devin Shull. But Bellingham answered back with a three goal run early in the second period, including Eleazar and Caro’s first goals, to take a 3-2 lead. Escalante scored both of his goals to retake the lead, 4-3, before Connor Moe tied it 4-4 minutes before the break.

But Bellingham went on another big run, scoring four goals over the first eight minutes of the third quarter, including what would prove to be the game winner by Uriel Herrera with 7:58 left in the third, and took an 8-4 lead. Snohomish scored once late in the quarter and added another early in the fourth, but the damage was done and the Hammers poured it on to take the 13-6 win.

Bellingham United goals: Eleazar Galvan (3), Christian Caro (3), Nick Cashmere (2), Uriel Herrera (2), Richard Henderson, Connor Moe, Christian Rotter
Snohomish Skyhawks goals: Andrew Escalante (2), Jordan Correa, Devin Shull, Wesley Stark, John Troka

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: