The second week of play in the 2017-18 Western Indoor Soccer League (WISL) season provided 29 goals in just two matches. Even still there was defense at play as the Tacoma Stars Reserves rose to the top of the table.

Tacoma Stars Reserves 7 Snohomish Skyhawks-3

SNOHOMISH, WA— JJ Schmeck scored two goals and added an assist and Lucas Dourado scored twice as the Tacoma Stars Reserves won their second straight match to improve to 2-0-0 on the young season with a 7-3 win over the second-place Snohomish Skyhawks (1-1-0) at the Snohomish Soccer Dome.

Dourado, Lucas

It was a tight match most of the way. The Stars Reserves would go up a goal and then the Skyhawks would answer. It was 2-2 at halftime and 3-3 midway through the third quarter. Then Tacoma’s defense stiffened and eventually the visitors counter-attacked their way into the lead. It was 5-3 late on when Snohomish went with a sixth attacker. It only served to give Tacoma space to poke home two clinchers.

It was the second straight match in which the Tacoma defense only allowed three goals.

Tacoma Stars Reserves Goals: JJ Schmeck (2), Lucas Dourado (2), Logan Jones, Nate Ford, Jason Chippy.

Snohomish Skyhawks Goals: Alex Molchan, Tye Hastings, Paul Burgess.

Check out the goal from Paul Burgess last Saturday. The Skyhawks got a nice flick-on off the wall and Burgess followed with his head for a “wallascora.”

Burgess, Paul

Bellingham United-10 Olympic Force-9

BREMERTON, WA—Nick Cashmere scored three goals and chipped in an assist as the Hammers (1-0-0) made their season debut with a big win over the Olympic Force (0-2-0) at the Olympic Sports Center in Bremerton.

The Hammers also got two goals from Connor Moe. The Force were led by the two goals and assist of Alejandro Fernandez and two goals from Colin Ralston.

The offenses ruled this one. You know you are in for a barn burner when it is already 4-4 after the first quarter. It was 7-5 at half time as BUFC used double power plays to sneak in a couple of goals before the break.

ARTICLECashmere, Nicholas


The Force answered the whistle in the third quarter and tied the match 7-7 on goals from Marco Lopez and Ismael De Luna. Bellingham sprung back at them with two of their own to make it 9-7 going into the final quarter. Cashmere and Ivan Colin got the markers to give the visitors the lead.

The fourth quarter was a bit anticlimactic by comparison. It was 9-8 when David Meherg scored for the Force. Then soon after it went to 10-8 Hammers on a goal by Richard Henderson. The Force couldn’t get much going the rest of the way but a final frenzy fell short when Olympic made it 10-9 with 16 seconds to go on a second goal from Fernandez. The Force got the ensuing kick off but couldn’t connect anything on goal before the final whistle blew.

Ralston, Colin

Bellingham United Goals: Nick Cashmere (3), Connor Moe (2), Richard Henderson, Kenny Parker, Ivan Colin, Uriel Herrera, Brendan Quilici.

Olympic Force Goals: Alejandro Hernandez (2), Colin Ralston (2), Victor Kelmel, Ismael De Luna, Marco Lopez, Kevin Flavin, David Meherg.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: