The Western Indoor Soccer League (WISL) rolled two 9-8 scores out for the new year. Meanwhile a friendly ended up a close battle for an undefeated side. It was all part of the crazy action on January 3 as the WISL began the second half of its season.

In Tumwater the Oly Town Artesians and Bellingham United battled out a 9-8 final that went to the Hammers. In Wenatchee the Fire cruised to an 8-2 lead over the Arlington Aviators but then saw the Arlington crew score six straight times. The 8-8 tie was decided with a Fire goal with 7 seconds left from Miguel Galván. In Tacoma the Stars held on tight for a 3-2 exhibition win over Yakima United FC, and outdoor club from the Evergreen Premier League (EPLWA).

Club Points Wins Losses Ties GF GA Goal + / –
TACOMA STARS  12  4  0  0 33 15 +18
BELLINGHAM UNITED  10  3  1  1 33 27 +6
WENATCHEE FIRE  7  2  2  1 33 38 -5
OLY TOWN ARTESIANS  6  2  3  0 35 38 -3
ARLINGTON AVIATORS  0  0  5  0 20 36 -16
A second straight close battle between the Hammers and Artesians on Jan. 3. ( / Charise Wright)
A second straight close battle between the Hammers and Artesians on Jan. 3. ( / Charis Wilson)

olylogofullOLYMPIA, Wash. – (from For the second game in a row, the Oly Town Artesians and Bellingham United went to the fourth quarter tied. And for the second game in a row, Bellingham came out on top, this time thanks to two Nick Cashmere goals in the final four minutes to lead the Hammers to a 9-8 win in front of a boisterous crowd at Olympia Indoor Soccer on Saturday night.

Cashmere’s two fourth quarter goals gave him a hat trick, one of four hat tricks on the night. Justin La Torre and Willie Spurr each scored three times for the Artesians while Capital High School grad Gabriele Zaccagnini collected his three goals in the first half against his hometown team.

bellingham united circle crestThe two teams exploded for seven goals in the first 15 minutes of the game. Spurr and Zaccagnini scored the first four goals of the game within a minute of each other’s goals. Spurr opened up the scoring in the first minute but Zaccagnini answered right back with a goal at the 13:08 mark. Spurr then scored again at the 12:23 mark and less than 30 seconds later Zaccagnini tied it up at 2-2 with 11:43 left to play in the first quarter.

Four whole minutes would pass before Cashmere put the Hammers up 3-2 but Spurr set up goals by both Greg Wolfe and Justin La Torre to finish off the first quarter with the Artesians up 4-3.

Andrew Weishaar and Justin La Torre traded goals in the first five minutes of the second quarter before Zaccagnini scored his third goal with 2:54 left in the first half and the two teams would go to the locker room tied at five.

Weishaar put the Hammers up 6-5 in the first minute of the third quarter on a power play goal that was leftover from a blue card shown to the Artesians at the end of the first half. Nine minutes later La Torre scored his third of the game to draw the Artesians even and set up yet another fourth quarter battle between Oly and Bellingham.

A second straight close battle between the Hammers and Artesians on Jan. 3. ( / Charis Wilson)


Unlike the game on December 20th in Bellingham, the Artesians struck first in the fourth quarter. Spurr scored an incredible goal from an impossible angle on the left side that gave the Artesians a 7-6 lead with 11:54 left to play. Oly held onto the lead for nine minutes but Bellingham scored the next three goals to put the game away. Kellan Brown tied the game with 4:45 left and Cashmere put the Hammers up for good with a goal at the 3:08 mark and a power play goal that proved to be the game winner with 1:53 left.

WISL Logo - 600Wolfe scored his second goal of the game with 16 seconds left to get the Artesians to within one and Oly had two chances in the final five seconds to tie it up but couldn’t drive one home and Bellingham held on to the 9-8 victory.

The win moved Bellingham to 3-1-1 (10 points) in Western Indoor Soccer League play while the Artesians dropped to 2-3-0 (6 points). Wenatchee knocked off Arlington 9-8 on Saturday night to move into third place in the WISL while Oly dropped into the fourth spot, two games ahead of winless Arlington for the final playoff spot.

The Artesians hit the road for the next two weeks traveling to Tacoma next Saturday to face the first place Stars at 1:00 PM at the Tacoma Soccer Center. The start time has been moved to the afternoon to avoid conflict with the Seattle Seahawks playoff game scheduled for 5:15 that evening.

Oly Town returns to their home pitch at Olympia Indoor Soccer on Saturday, January 24th for a friendly against the Oly Indoor All-Stars. First kick is scheduled for 6:00 PM. Advance tickets can be purchased at

The Aviators bench before kickoff in Wenatchee.
The Aviators bench before kickoff in Wenatchee.

arlington-aviators-2014-WISL-cropped-800WENATCHEE, Wash. – (from The Arlington Aviators mounted an incredible comeback against the Wenatchee Fire before losing 9-8 in the closing seconds of the match.

Despite Arlington drawing first blood on a Jeff Gosslee goal at 12:50 in the first period, the Aviators struggled offensively in the first half of play and went into the halftime intermission down 5-2.

In the third period, Wenatchee would score 3 times on back-to-back goals by Matthew Stefenko at 12:45 and 7:35 and another goal from Josh Alverez at 4:52. Arlington would also have a three goal third period of their own. That started when, Efrain Alvarado, scored a power play goal at 6:43. Alvarado was appearing in his first match back with Arlington, since moving to Pullman to attend Washington State University. The Alvarado score, was followed up by a Russ Brown Power Play goal (: 43) and the second goal of the evening for Aaron Burn with just 13 seconds remaining in the third period to bring the Aviators within 3 goals, as the Fire held onto an 8-5 lead. Arlington would go 2 for 2 on power play goals in the match.

FireLogo-largeFrom there the Aviators stunned the crowd as their relentless and aggressive attack scored three unanswered goals, to tie the match coming from: Winfred Smith, Burns and new acquisition Momo Dremmah. Burn’s goal in the third would give him a “Hat Trick” on the night.

“We decided we couldn’t afford to sit back and defend. We knew if we did high pressure they wouldn’t be able to handle it so we did and it worked perfectly.” Said Burns.

However, with just 7 seconds left in the final quarter, Wenatchee’s Miguel Galvan would score to give the Fire a 9-8 win.

The Aviators will now enter a “Bye Week” and will return to action with their newfound offensive firepower, to take on the first place Tacoma Stars in Arlington, on January 17th.

Wenatchee moves into third place with a 2-2-1 record and 7 points. The Aviators hard luck continues as they drop to 0-0-5.


by Chris Yard, Tacoma Stars Insider 

TACOMA, Wash.— It was a fast paced, exciting night at the Tacoma Soccer Center Saturday night as the Tacoma Stars defeated Yakima United FC 3-2 in front of 298 fans for a non-league friendly.

Derek Johnson opened up the scoring late in the first period with a blast that got by the Yakima United goal keeper with just 2:32 remaining, assisted by Stars new addition Ed Walugembe. Although it took the Stars over 12 minutes to score their first goal, 1 minute later Nate Ford added a beautiful goal, set up by a perfect assist by Kyle Danielson, to help the Stars jump to a 2-0 lead after one period.


The second period was a back and forth affair, with both teams not wanting to budge one bit on defense. There were plenty of shots parried away by both keepers. The flow was fast and furious going end to end. The Stars finally broke through at the 2:58 mark with a stunning goal by newcomer Ed Walugembe, assisted by Derek Johnson. The Stars entered halftime with a 3-0 lead.

The third period was a frenetic event, with both teams getting plenty of shots but neither getting anything by either keeper. Aaron Anderson played like a champion by not letting anything by, tallying 18 saves over three periods and even getting out of his box to beat Yakima United players to the punch on several long distance balls. On the Yakima side, second half substitution Jake Rhodes stopped every shot he faced.


With Yakima United trailing 3-0 at the start of the fourth period, they rallied and finally tallied their first goal with 6:38 remaining in the 4th quarter by sliding one by substitute keeper Landon Fisher. Yakima United made it very interesting with 3:25 remaining by slotting another goal with a fantastic shot by Jesse Esquivel.

It was a little chippy in the fourth period with Yakima United getting their 6th foul, leading to a Blue Card for foul accumulation and a Stars power play, but the Stars failed to score with one man up. Yakima added another four fouls in the 4th period, but nothing serious enough to earn a discipline warning.

The Stars improved their record to 7-0-0 with the victory and will host WISL rival Olytown Artesians on January 10th at 1:00 PM at the Tacoma Soccer Center.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: